Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:13 pm Post subject: Help Stop Tasmanian Duck Shooting!
The Tasmanian Government is permitting a duck shooting season this year. Last year in Tasmania, by the shooter's own reporting, almost 1,000 duck shooters shot over 35,000 native waterbirds during the open season. With research showing that for every three ducks killed one is wounded, the animal toll of this blood sport is horrendous.
These hunts are also unsustainable. In recent years, native water bird numbers across the East Coast of Australia have decreased by 82%, due to climate change, extended droughts and more frequent El Ninos. Please take the opportunity at this crucial time to write to the Tasmanian Minister to express your opposition and to urge him to immediately call off the pending Tasmanian duck shooting season. Please write to:
Here are a few suggested points for your letters. Please rewrite these in your own words, if you choose to use them.
* Highlight the fact that duck shooting has been banned in Queensland, NSW and WA, and urge the minister to follow the lead of these states.
* Explain that the public is overwhelmingly disgusted by and opposed to duck shooting.
* The recreational shooting of native waterbirds is unsustainable. Climate change is placing increasing pressures on their populations. The additional threat caused by a shooting season could be catastrophic for their survival.
* Duck shooting wounds many more birds than just those that are killed. For every 3 birds killed, at least one is left wounded.
* To endanger native bird populations and cause mass injury and suffering simply for the sake of recreation is irresponsible, unethical and against the will of the public.
* Call on Minister Llewellyn to call a halt to recreational duck shooting season.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum